Vgomez1643 - Bioinformatics Pathway

Concise Overview of things learned Technical Area: I have always struggled with computer science and have little to experience with any type of code or programming. I have learned how to use R almost to its full extent during the different R trainings that I have completed.
Tools: I have also learned how to better read and analyze scientific papers using any prior knowledge from any classes or any knew information I have gathered in the notes and webinars that I have attended.
Soft Skills: I am a very shy person at times and would rather do things on my own but in the first two weeks of this internship I have been able to use any leadership or talking skills to feel more comfortable talking or expressing any concerns to the leads.

Three Achievement Highlights

1. Although I am not that great at it I have learned a few things about the R training and how to complete it.
  2. I have been able to socially put myself out there and become comfortable asking any questions that I have.
  3. I have been able to also learn Python which is a programming system I was not familiar with at all.

List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
I have attended about 75% of the meetings. I did miss the R training at first due to family scheduling. But I have caught up to every missed meeting by watching the recordings and reading the notes. I have made sure to attend all webinars, but I did miss the painting night.

Goals for the upcoming week.
My goals for the week are to get a LinkedIn account and learn how I can use that to connect with others. I would also like to get proficient at R therefore I will not struggle as much throughout the course of the internship.

1 Like

Concise Overview of Things Learned: Week 4

• Technical Area: In the past week, I’ve tried to get comfortable with R a little more and email Yves and ask my teammates if I have any questions. I feel like if I really focus I can accomplish it.
  • Tools: I have known how to use slack as a form of communication, but I really feel like I have mainly been focusing on getting better at R
  • Soft Skills: over time I have become more comfortable in talking to my teammates and the leads it has brought out a new confidence.

Three Achievement Highlights

I have tried to complete deliverables even if I did not know how to do it I still at least try to submit something. I have attended all meetings and if I have missed I have been sure to catch up. I try to stay on top of the deliverables and be more organized

List of Meetings and Training Attended
I have attended all team meetings except for a few of the python meetings

Goals For The Upcoming Week
This week I am just going to try and stay on top of all of my work while still trying to balance school

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have to leave internship at the 6th week. I really enjoyed everything that I learned such as R and Python. These two will only help me with my future. I want to say thank you to the leafs for being so helpful and so understanding when I needed help. I also really enjoyed meeting new people and learning how to work as a team rather than by yourself all the time. Working as a team is super beneficial because if you are struggling they are there to help you and I really enjoyed that.

1 Like