Wafaa - Machine Learning (Level 3) Pathway

Module 1- Week 1

Things I have Learned:

• Technical skills:

• I have been introduced to the idea of a journal club. Which is a discussion about a scientific paper in which each individual is responsible for analyzing the paper from a different perspective. My team and I had our journal club and it was very informative and engaging.
  • Soft Skills:

• I was able to lead 3 meetings this week and get the team members to participate and share their ideas confidently.
    • I made sure to appreciate the efforts of the team members, people tend to do better when appreciated.
    • I tried to get everyone engaged and encouraged the team spirit, so whenever we have a lot of tasks to do, I delegate some tasks to the team members.
    • I tried to handle all the technical issues and report them as needed. the on-boarding process is usually not easy.

Three Achievement Highlights:

• Conducting a journal club.
  • Leading meetings.
  • Accommodating members’ needs and issues.

Goals for The Upcoming Week:

• Setting up a GitHub repository.
  • Raw data parsing.

Tasks Done:

• Journal club.
  • Trello board creation.
  • google group creation.

Module1- Week2:

Things I have learned:

• Technical skills:

• I have learned how to use the pubmed parser to parse the Medline XML files in the form of python data frames in preparation for further preprocessing.
  • Soft skills:

• The importance of task delegation among team members. When splitting the work into simple tasks and divide them among us, we were able to get things done quickly and efficiently.

• Being able to learn new skills quickly
  • Ability to work with data without prior knowledge about the theoretical details of them.
  • I was able to hold weekly meetings for my team and got everyone to participate and share their progress

• Extract entities from the sentences using Stanford parser

Tasks Done:

• Learning about the format of Medline publications
  • learning to use Pubmed Parser
  • writing optimized and generic code to perform the parsing

Module2- Week3:

Things I have learned:

• Technical skills:

• I have filtered the publications according to which ones contain abstracts; because I only need to process the abstracts
    • I have learned to use string matching to extract the sentences that contain drug-gene pairs to be input to the stanford parser
    • I have learned how to use the Stanford parser to .extract the dependency paths of the drug-gene pairs.
  • Soft skills:

• It’s okay to ask for help when you are stuck on something. This is the importance of working in teams and specially with people from different backgrounds

• Collaboration with other teams
  • Still maintaining the team spirit
  • Documenting progress

• Building a pipeline to process the entire database in parallel using Dask

Tasks Done:

• Data filtering
  • String matching
  • dependency path extraction

Module2- Week4:

Things I have learned:

• Technical skills:

• I have been introduced to Dask library, which is a library that is used for parallel processing of data
    • we used Dask bags to create a pipeline that can take data files in chunks and parse them; this way we will not have to store all the data in the RAM
    • I learned how to use an AWS cluster and how you can use jupyter notebooks in it, we transferred everything into AWS cloud
    • I used the parallel processing pipeline to extract the final dependency matrix; which consists of rows of drug-gene pairs and columns of dependency paths
  • Soft skills:

• I got used to my team members and we have friendly relationships now, which is very important for motivation and encouragement

• Learned about a new library (Dask)
  • Learned about AWS clusters
  • A Concrete team bond

• Passing the processed data into the EBC algorithm, the core machine learning part of the project

Tasks Done:

• creating dask bags
  • moving things to AWS
  • generating the final dependency matrix

Module3- Week5:

Things I have learned:

• Technical skills:

• I have gone through the paper thoroughly to understand the theoretical concepts of the Ensemble Biclustering Algorithm
    • I have learned that the algorithm has two steps (supervised, unsupervised) and decided to dedicate this week to the first one, i.e. the unsupervised step
    • I have used the ITCC algorithm to co-cluster each drug-gene pair and run it 100 times, the result is a co-occurrence matrix with rows and columns of drug-gene pairs, and values which correspond to how often two pairs are clustered in the same cluster
  • Soft skills:

• I experienced the importance of sharing knowledge between team members, and having people from different experience levels help each other
    • I also learned the importance of documenting work, both for team member and for external audience

• Understanding the intuition of the EBC algorithm
  • Implementing the unsupervised step of EBC
  • Generating the co-occurrence matrix

• Implementing the supervised step of EBC

Tasks Done:

• Unsupervised step of EBC
  • team members’ progress tracking

Module3- Week6:

Things I have learned:

• Technical skills:

• I have implemented the second step of the biclustering algorithm which is the supervised step.
    • I obtained known drug-gene relationships from DrugBank and constructed seed sets and test sets
    • I used the EBC scoring rule to determine how often drug-gene pairs are co-clustered with a ground truth relationship
  • Soft skills:

• Started preparing for the final presentation of our work
    • Assigned tasks to team members to work on the presentation

• Implementing the supervised step of EBC
  • Generating the final co-occurrence scores
  • Initiating the work on the final presentation

• Showcasing the entire workflow

Tasks Done:

• supervised step of EBC

Module4- Week7:

Things I have learned:

• Technical skills:

• I created a final version of the code that includes comments clarifying what each part of the code is doing
    • prepared the final presentation of the team and presented it to our mentors
  • Soft skills:

• Organizing a team presentation, smooth transition between slides, and perfect use of the allocated time

• Showcasing of out entire workflow
  • Getting very helpful comments from mentors
  • Giving credit to each team member on what they did

• WE ARE DONE :smiley:

Tasks Done:

• Final presentation