Adtulsian - Bioinformatics Pathway

A concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills

• Technical Areas: I’ve learned how to read and understand scientific papers. I have also started learning more about computer science. Although I am not very familiar with the coding languages and usually take lots of time to code successfully.
  • Tools: I have used and have been using the webinars and notes from meetings to get caught up with everything I missed in the first week, especially in terms of the coding aspects of the internship. However, I am not very good at it.
  • Soft skills: I’ve been able to communicate with my team members and get to know the team and some people from other teams as well.

Three achievement highlights

1. Go to almost every meeting, and reading notes from the ones I missed.
  2. Learn more about basic coding
  3. Communicate and make connections with people.

List of meetings/ training attended including social team events

I went to almost every meeting this week while trying to catch up on what I missed from week one, especially the coding webinars that I missed. However, I missed the happy hour due to a scheduling conflict.

Goals for the upcoming week.

My goals for this week are to get a LinkedIn account and to connect with people through that platform; get proficient in R and Python; work more efficiently on the assignments that are given. Additionally, I’d like to try and get to know the members of the team better.

1 Like

A concise overview of things learned

• Technical Areas: I’ve learned how to use R better than before, however, I still am not very good at coding in R at least.

• Tools: I have used notes from meetings and other posts in the forum and the google drive to write the code for the week 3 deliverables.

• Soft skills: I have collaborated with my group and other groups effectively to ensure completion of the week 3 deliverables to our best ability.

1. I went to every meeting
  2. I learned more about coding in R
  3. I communicated and worked with people to run codes that ensured the quality of our project

Goals for the upcoming week.
My goals for this week are to set up my LinkedIn account and connect with people in my group at least on LinkedIn. I’d also like to be more proactive at learning how to code in R more efficiently in order to contribute more to my group for the week 4 deliverables.

1 Like

• Technical Areas: I can use R with some trouble to get the deliverables done.

• Tools: I went to all of the training webinars last week and used notes and recordings to do the deliverables.

• Soft skills: I collaborated with my group and other groups to get the deliverables done.

1. I went to every meeting
  2. I learned more about how to use R effectively
  3. I collaborated with teams to run codes

Goals for the upcoming week
My goal for this week is to set up Git-hub and learn how to use it. I also hope to use Asana more. Furthermore, I hope to connect with people on LinkedIn this week, including people who are working in places I hope to work one day.

1 Like

• Technical Areas: I feel like doing the weekly deliverables has helped me understand a lot how we can analyze data in many ways. I now not only know how to do them but also know how to interpret them in a meaningful way that helps both me and others. This includes Gene Ontology (GO) Analysis, KEGG analysis, and WikiPathways analysis.
  • Tools: R studio, GitHub, Asana, Slack, EnrichR
  • Soft Skills: I have connected with some professionals through LinkedIn. I have continually communicated with my group and have improved my communication with them greatly because of this.

Achievement Highlights

1. I went to every meeting including the happy hour meeting
  2. I learned and understood the many possible types of analyses and how to interpret it
  3. I improved my R skills

My goal for this week is to connect with people in the bioinformagic group on LinkedIn. I hope to work with my group and Team Wand to make a great presentation. I will also use Github and Asana more. I hope to also do more research on my own and in doing so work harder on the project going forward.

1 Like

• Technical Areas: We finished our Week 5 deliverables with presentations. During which I learned a lot more about Gene Ontology (GO) Analysis, KEGG analysis, and WikiPathways analysis. This with the comparison of the results with Team Wand and Team Slytherin led me to form a deeper understanding of the analyses that were used by all the teams involved.
  • Tools: R studio, GitHub, Asana, Slack, EnrichR
  • Soft Skills: I have connected with some professionals through LinkedIn. I have continually communicated with my group and have improved my communication with them greatly thanks to this.

Achievement Highlights

2. I have greatly improved my communication skills
  3. I have gotten a better understanding of the different kinds of analyses that can be used on a data set.

List of Meetings attended
I went to every meeting that was on the schedule, including team meetings, the python training, and happy hour.

My goal for this week is to connect with people in the bioinformagic group on LinkedIn. I will also use Github and Asana more. I hope to also do more research on my own and in doing so work harder on the project going forward. I hope to effectively manage my time with my internship in this project and the vaping project.

1 Like

• Technical Areas: I am working on the Week 7/8 deliverables and applied the skills I learned throughout this internship to a new GEO set.
  • Tools: R studio, Asana, Slack
  • Soft Skills: I have connected with some professionals through LinkedIn. I have also started working on the deliverables.

Achievement Highlights

2. I have greatly improved my communication skills
  3. I have learned enough to use the skills learned to analyze another GEO set

The Bioinformatics team meetings including the one on Thursday and today.

My goal for this week is to get a better understanding of the pathway through the individual deliverables. I hope to connect with more people through LinkedIn.

Concise overview of things learned:

• Technical Areas: I have learned a lot about this field throughout the eight weeks of this internship. By attending all the meetings I could, I was able to form a bond with my team and I was able to learn more about what it means to be a bioinformatician. I have also greatly improved my skills in R as I can now analyze data sets using the programming language. Through the R trainings I was able to start with no previous knowledge and learn everything from scratch.

• Tools: R, R studio, STEM-Away forum, Asana, Slack, Git-Hub, Zoom, STRING, EnrichR

• Soft Skills: I learned how to network and have used LinkedIn to network with both people I know, and people whom I aspire to be. I went to most of the Happy Hours and built a bond with the team, and even helped to lead one. I worked well with my deliverables group to finish tasks assigned to us over the course of this project.

• I have worked hard and now have a very solid understanding of how to use R and the field of bioinformatics.

• I am proud of my newfound networking skills. The emphasis and discussions of networking led me to get a LinkedIn account. Through all of this, I learned what it means to network and the importance of it. I have also greatly improved my skills to network and have built many connections.
    STEM-Away really emphasized soft skills and networking. I am proud of my improvement in my networking skills. I did not have a LinkedIn before this internship, but, once I did, I started making multiple connections and tried reaching out to people I didn’t know. I still have a lot to improve on my networking, but I am really proud of how much I have begun to get out of my comfort zone.

• I have also greatly improved my teamwork skills. I was out of my element when I began this project as I had very little coding experience. I worked with my team to learn how to code, while also completing tasks that were assigned to us. I helped to lead a happy hour, which turned out pretty well. Overall, I am most proud of how I have grown in these eight weeks.

• I went to the happy hour and the team meeting.

• I will continue to network through LinkedIn and I will continue to further develop my skills.

Thank you so much @ddas, and the leads, @Isha, @egunduz , and @yvesgaetan for helping support and lead me and team!

1 Like

You are very welcome Adya! Hope you are enjoying the vaping detection project :slight_smile:

It was so great meeting you @Adtulsian, stay in touch!