AlexG5353 - Bioinformatics Pathway

Concise Overview of Things Learned

• Technical Area: Without prior experience in programming, I’ve learned how to use several features in R & Python to construct and visualize data. In addition, I’ve learned how to critically analyze scientific literature effectively.

• Tools: I’ve been given introductory & intermediate training in R & Python. Using the lessons from webinars, I’ve figured out how to use figures in scientific literature to come up with unbiased conclusions.

• Soft Skills: I’ve exercised my leadership skills by reaching out to team members to set up our happy hour this week & to begin collaborating to work on our deliverables.

Three Achievement Highlights

1. Became proficient in using R & Python
  2. Learned how to critically analyze scientific literature.
  3. Made a ton of new connections on LinkedIn.

List of Meetings/ Training Attended Including Social Team Events

Unfortunately, I work a full time job so I’ve only been able to attend half the meetings in person, but when I’m not able to make it I make sure to read the notes/watch the recordings to keep up with the internship. Given this, I’ve been able to have full virtual participation so far.

Goals For The Upcoming Week

This week I would like to have 75% in-person attendance for meetings. On the other hand, my computers have been having trouble so I’d like to get my new laptop and finish all the homework I haven’t been able to complete.

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Most of the questions I get about STEM-Away falls into 5 buckets. Tracking it all in my head for now, will document it soon!

One bucket is related to time commitment. One question from this bucket: I am working full time, will I be able to manage this program?

Are you okay with us sharing your answer on stemaway and social media? This self-assessment slightly edited and/or a blurb from you.

No pressure, am absolutely fine with a yes or no answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Debaleena!

I would love to share my thoughts on this. Will I be able to preview the post before it is posted to social media & LinkedIn? If so, then yes!

Hi Alex,

Yes, of course, it is your voice!

How about this: You share your blurb with me, we have a professional editor who will suggest edits and improvements (she is really good, you will find it to be an incredible learning experience!), once both of you are satisfied, we share the post.

We will make a mention that this is our student voice with editing by Molly Huggins. There is some specific terminology used, I will search and find that out.

Am reaching out to a few other students as well.

Debaleena,

That sounds great to me! I’m looking forward to helping STEM-Away in any way possible.

Are there any specific questions you would like me to answer in the blurb? I’d like to tailor it to the questions that have been frequently asked.

There were quite a few people in our Q&A sessions who were working full time. They wanted to avail of this opportunity but were not very sure whether they could handle it.

The only specific question was the number of hours per week. Now that you are part of the program, you will better understand my answer “what you put into the program is what you will get out of the program

Mostly, I sensed a hesitation. A desire to join but not very sure if it will work. It will help to hear directly from a person who is working full-time and participating in the program.

Thanks Alex :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should I email you the blurb?

Second Self-Assessment

• Technical Area: I performed quality control measures on our data set to ensure accurate results. In addition, I used background correction to probe the intensities of the array. Furthermore, I normalized our arrays which removed non-biological variability. Lastly, I used PCA to simplify the visualization and analysis of our data set.
  • Tools: I’ve managed to become proficient in R, successfully mastering data visualization, data analysis, quality control, background correction, & normalization. I’ve also become familiar with Asana, GSuite, & Slack as effective time/project management tools.
  • Soft Skills: I established effective communication with my team members for deliverables by starting our own Slack channel & scheduling time for us to accomplish the deliverables. Furthermore, when our team didn’t know what next steps to take, I reached out to members of other teams for assistance.

1. I’ve furthered my understanding of R by using it for data manipulation & visualization. In addition to this internship, I decided to take a course in R so that I could understand how to better leverage it for this internship.
  2. I can use GSuite, Asana, & Slack for more effective time/project management opportunities in the future.
  3. I reached out to several professionals on LinkedIn & have began open communication with them.

I’ve only been able to attend half the meetings in person, but when I’m not able to make it I make sure to read the notes/watch the recordings to keep up with the internship. I have full virtual participation so far.

Goals For The Upcoming Week

Last week, my goal was to attend 75% of all meetings in person and I was able to reach that goal! This week I’ve set the goal at 90%! In addition, I’d like to have the best presentation for the Week 3 Deliverables this week. I think it’s important to always strive to be your best! Lastly, I want to figure out the Week 4 Deliverables as early as possible and try to offer assistance to other teams.

1 Like

Third Self-Assessment

• Concise Overview of Things Learned
    Technical Area: I learned how to conduct differential gene expression analysis using R. In addition, I’ve become familiar with constructing volcano plots and using the gene annotation library. Also, I’ve learned how to create a data matrix for linear fit modeling.
    Tools: I have a deep understanding of intermediate R skills. I have compounded my knowledge of data visualization and analysis using R. I’ve become comfortable using Asana as a project management tool and using GitHub as a database.
    Soft Skills: One important soft skill I’ve learned this week is being flexible with my team. I’ve been able to adapt to new situations on the fly. We had a few setbacks at first, but after brainstorming together we were able to quickly solve the issues and take care of the deliverables.
  • Three Achievement Highlights
  1. I’ve made a huge connection between using the background knowledge in Biology and connecting that to Bioinformatics. The culmination of these two areas has proved substantial in making revelations for the project
  2. I’ve learned how to adapt in a team setting. Sometimes I took the role of leader & other times I’ve taken the role of team member to learn something new.
  3. My understanding of R and it’s uses has expanded vastly.
  • List of Meetings/Training Attended Including Social Team Events
    I have been to all the meetings whether it was in person or I watched the recordings of them on the Google Drive.
  • Goals For the Upcoming Week.
    One of my main goals is to finish out the internship strong and complete the last deliverables. Furthermore, I’d like to connect with my team as much as possible so that they serve as collaborators on future endeavors.

Final Self-Assessment

• Technical Area: I’ve gained a deep understanding of how to leverage R & Python for use in research. I’ve become an expert in bioinformatics, data visualization & analysis, and project management to name a few areas.
  • Tools: I’ve become familiar with platforms such as STEM-Away, GSuite, Asana, GitHub, RStudio, Python, & NCBI. In addition, I’ve learned several tools such as project management, project formulation, data analysis, data manipulation, data visualization, teamwork, & leadership.
  • Soft Skills: I’ve built on my leadership skills and added several key factors. I’ve become more adaptable/flexible in team management situations. I’ve grown in my ability to network and build relationships that will serve as a platform for future collaborations. Lastly, I’ve inculcated the ability to think critically about rigorous topics.

1. Became an expert on several different platforms such as RStudio, Python, Asana, etc.
  2. Built upon my leadership skills and teamwork skills.
  3. Became part of an organization that offers opportunities to students regardless of race, gender, etc.

I was able to attend all meetings whether I attended them in person or I watched the recordings on the Google Drive/read the notes whenever i was done with my full time job.

THANK YOU

I would just like to thank @ddas & @Stephanie for giving me the opportunity to take part in such a wonderful internship and I look forwarding to being able to give back as a Project Lead in the many years to come. Furthermore, a huge thank you to @egunduz @Isha & @yvesgaetan for being the best leads ever!! Thank you all so much and i hope we stay in contact in the future!!

1 Like