Awprakas - Bioinformatics Pathway

• Concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills
    • Technical Area: R training has covered the basics of data visualization thus far. This includes: ggplot package for bar plots, pheatmaps, scatter plots, histograms, and volcano plots. In addition to this, we learnt how to label and colour code the various forms of visualisation. Also, super basic overview of python. We learnt the formatting for the language of python including: printing sentences, number association with various prints, dictionary use, and how to use it for math.
    • Tools: R programming.
    • Soft Skills: I attended a get-to-know session with Erin and the rest of the second team for Bioinformatics. It was fun and helpful to learn about the leads (Yves is a model!!), and other members of the team.
  • Three achievement highlights
    • I personally have never programmed before, so every command that has worked is an achievement for me (haha). More intricately, being able to summarise and massage data into a readable format is hugely intriguing and now, an achievement! (however, there is still much work to do). Additionally, successful solving of (some) problems with R has been an achievement.
  • List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
    • I have attended/ watched all meetings posted on the STEMaway site for Bioinformatics thus far. I believe this includes: Webinars (1 &2 (3 is going to be posted soon I think)), all R trainings, beginners Python training, and Erin’s get-to-know-you meeting. However, I missed one meeting - the painting social with the team.
  • Goals for the upcoming week. Next self-assessment will be due on the following Tuesday 06/23
    • I am personally having issues with R due to my system using macOS Catalina. Solving the issues with these in order to analyse data is going to be my goal for this upcoming week. Being able to keep the pace of trainings will be another goal of mine.
2 Likes

Very well documented. This self-assessment is useful feedback for leads and the STEM-Away team. But I hope it also helped to give a clearer idea of your path forward in the project.

You can add another achievement: you were the first to do the self-assessment!
As a reward, let me know what specific issue you are having with your OS. I will try and take a few cycles out to debug. If not, I will set you up with one of our mentors.

1 Like

Self Assessment: Angelina Prakash 6/23

• Concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills
    • Technical Area: I haven’t learnt anything new this week. I have been utilizing technical skills I have already been taught (Thank you Yves)
    • Soft Skills: I attended the Happy Hour for my team and co-hosted Family Feud. It was fun to see my intelligent team mates come up with quick and smart answers. Our goal this week was to add 10 people in our related network on Linkedin. I was able to add around 6 people within my areas of interest. In addition to this, I also added some more STEMaway members! My Linkedin is growing slowly, but surely.
    • I made codes work for the deliverables! Analyzing the quality control report derived from the code was fairly easy for me. I also contributed the quality control/ outlier slides in my team’s week 3 deliverables pdf.
    • I have attended most of the meetings posted on the STEMaway site for Bioinformatics thus far. I haven’t been able to attend the morning meetings in person due to my summer class that runs Monday-Thursday until 2:00pm. This has set me back a little from comprehension of what my responsibilities are. However, I think I’ve done a good job of catching up and asking my teammates.
  • Goals for the upcoming week.
    • I hope that I will be able to complete the week 4 deliverables on time. The last one took my team and I all the time we were given, so this time will be a challenge for sure! I also hope I can pull more weight in the programming aspect. I was able to contribute more to the analyzation of the results of the code last time. Additionally, I would like to gain more confidence in my R skills by practicing more this weekend.
  • Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle. You need to clearly mark whether the hurdles were solved with the help of training webinars, some help from project leads or significant help from project leads.
    • R for deliverables - I attempted every step assigned for these deliverables. I wasn’t able to complete everything as I ran into a few hurdles. But I completed quality control reports which I also assessed and analyzed. This is when I noticed some large abnormalities with our data. I contacted Yves about it and found out we had an easy fix issue with just removing samples that were controls.
    • Working with the team - We had one member on a different timezone than us, but meetings were super smooth and we communicated with each other clearly.
1 Like
    • Technical Area: I learnt more R programming through Yves training and self learning.
    • Soft Skills: I have been active in speaking up at meetings. I also contributed to the deliverable presentations for week 3.
    • I am slowly getting more and more comfortable with R!
    • I’ve been able to be an asset to my team even as an observer
    • I also completely understand the analysis behind most of what we are doing.
    • I still haven’t been able to make a lot of the meetings due to my summer class. However, I went to week 5’s meeting and Yves’ R training.
    • One goal is to get the txt file for the phenotypic deliverable done in the next couple of hours. Another goal will be to keep up with the pace of the deliverables.
  • Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle. You need to clearly mark whether the hurdles were solved with the help of training webinars, some help from project leads or significant help from project leads.
    • Did the coding for week 4 in conjunction with my team. Did the PCA slides for the presentation on week 3 deliverables. Currently working on getting a .txt file for the phenotypic deliverables.
    • R for deliverables - I, again, attempted every step assigned for these deliverables. I wasn’t able to complete everything as I ran into a few hurdles. Most of these simply just had to do with the language of R itself. Problem solving using the errors has been my #1 weakness.
    • Working with the team - My team is really good and communicating and designating tasks.
1 Like

Week 5 Self Assessment

• Technical Area: No new learning! Just messing with the information I already have.
    • Soft Skills: I have been active in speaking up at meetings that I have attended. I also contributed to the deliverable presentations. Also, meeting with my group regularly! It’s become normal for us.
    • I’ve kept up the pace generally well.
    • I still haven’t been able to make a lot of the meetings due to my summer class. We haven’t had many other meetings. I attended last Thursday’s happy hour!
    • A goal of mine this upcoming week will be to get a better understanding of the analysis of our deliverables. It’s difficult to do this when I haven’t been presented with charts (as I need to do them haha).
    • Have been working on the Week 5 Deliverables. Each week is picking up speed and difficulty. I’ve just been trying to be helpful to my team mates.
    • R for deliverables - This is simply just not my strong suit. But I’ve been able to problem solve errors in less time.
    • Working with the team - My team is really good and communicating and designating tasks. Go team enchanted!
1 Like

Week 6 Self Assessment:

• Technical Area: No new learning! Just messing with the information I already have.
    • Soft Skills: Meeting with my deliverables group regularly!
    • I have been understanding the biology behind the deliverables
    • I presented!
    • I haven’t been to the meetings because of my class but I made half of the Happy Hour and have kept in touch with my team and the leads.
    • Doing the 7/8 deliverables soon! I’ve been crazy busy so I would like to get a start since R is already a weak spot for me.
    • Week 5 Deliverables! I tried contributing but could not get the programming to work for me. This week - I focused more on the biology analysis aspect of the presentation. Anything that I could do to help my teammates!
    • Working with the team - My team is really good and communicating and designating tasks. I think we are going to keep in touch after this internship ends (:
1 Like

Week 7/8 Self Assessment

• Technical Area: No new learning! Just using information I already have.
    • Soft Skills: Talked to my deliverables group regularly!
    • Biology behind data is very comprehendible
    • I made a presentation
    • I haven’t been to the meetings because of my class but I’ve been keeping in touch with my group for any updates. Also, I’m going to the happy hour this week,
    • nothing (:
    • Week 7/8 Deliverables! I did not do the programming aspect but I met with my group and troubleshooted through their R issues.
    • Working with the team - My team is awesome and I love them. That is all ahaha.
1 Like