Jiachengli1999 - Full Stack Pathway

Self Assessment 1:

1. Concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills
  • Technical Area: Learned to write loops in Ruby, set up psql in Terminal, and make a basic layout design.
  • Tools: Utilized Asana, Slack, and Google Meet
  • Soft Skills: Communicated with team and shared my design idea with the team
  1. Three achievement highlights
  • Made a demo for the Foodlist functionality using React js and Django
  • Made a demo for the review page using the above technologies
  • Contributed to team discussions
  1. List of meetings/ training attended including social team events
  • 5/21/2020, Overview of Discourse
  • 6/1/2020, Full stack team introductions
  • 6/2/2020, First Team Meeting
  • 6/5/2020 Second Team Meeting
  1. Goals for the upcoming week. Next self-assessment will be due on the following Tuesday 06/23
  • Implement functionalities onto Discourse
  • Get good with the platform
  1. Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle. You need to clearly mark whether the hurdles were solved with the help of training webinars, some help from project leads or significant help from project leads.
  • Completed tasks assigned to me in Asana. These tasks were aimed to help us get familiar with the technology by assigning us to write loops in Ruby and making a basic web layout design.
  • Shared my design idea of the project
  • Made a Foodlist and review page using React js for the frontend and Django for the backend. This was a demo for the functionality that I would be implementing on Discourse. Since I am still in the process of learning React js in my spare time, I faced some problems with the syntax. I overcame most of my problems by googling.
  • Practiced making themes in Discourse by watching videos shared by the Pathway Lead and Team Lead. The videos helped me understand how the whole process worked.

Self-Assessment 6/23
Name: Jia Cheng Li
Role: Participant

1. Concise overview of things learned. Break it up into Technical Area, Tools, Soft Skills
  • Technical Area: AWS
  • Tools: AWS web hosting
  • Soft Skills: Communicated with team on current project status
  • Practiced using AWS
  • Modified the pages for the foodstyle frontend
  • Participated in all meetings
  • 6/20/2020 AWS Webinar
  1. Goals for the upcoming week.
  • Implement backend functions and connect it with the frontend
  1. Detailed statement of tasks done. State each task, hurdles faced if any and how you solved the hurdle. You need to clearly mark whether the hurdles were solved with the help of training webinars, some help from project leads or significant help from project leads.
  • To get started on AWS, I watched a quick tutorial on YouTube that helped me get started with building an instance and hosting in the site.
  • Modified the foodlist page and added a review page. Incorporated functions that handled JSON data into the functions. When I am stuck, I would do a quick google search and that would usually help. When debugging the code, I would also add print statements in areas of the code to see what went wrong.

Self-Assessment 6/30
Name: Jia Cheng Li
Role: Participant

• Technical Area: Java, JQuery, Ajax
  • Tools: Google Meet
  • Soft Skills: Communicated with team on current project status
  • Implemented api functions in the backend
  • Modified the food table in the database and added a review table
  • Participated in all meetings
  • 6/25 Team meeting
  1. Goals for the upcoming week.
  • Continue making api functions and integrating the frontend with the backend
  • To get started, I analyzed the Team Lead’s code to see how he made the database and api functions. Following his examples, I made api functions to return a list of foods then fetch this result in the frontend to display a list of foods.
  • Additionally, I made api functions for the review page to accept user reviews on the restaurant.
  • I solved most of my problems by analyzing the code, googling, and debugging the code.

Final Assessment
Jia Cheng Li, Participant

From this internship, I learned how to use Asana for the first time, and I was able to learn some Ruby and Ember JS. Though we never used Ruby and Ember in our project, I was able to learn some other technologies from our Team Lead’s code. I learned how to use Java for the backend, and I was able to modify/add tables to the database using Java. I was also able to familiarize myself with JQuery while working on the project and I learned that there’s an amazing bootstrap template out there called AdminLTE.

For the project, I modified the food list page and added the ratings component for the review page to the frontend and backend.

I believe I attended all the meetings that we had.